Researching your family's surnames can connect you with others who are researching the same surname and may be related to you or may be from the same geographic area. To maximize your chances, list your surnames and towns in as many places as possible.
JewishGen Family Finder (JGFF)
We recommend creating listings in the JewishGen Family Finder (JGFF). You must have a free JewishGen account to create listings. You will need to create a separate listing for each surname / town combination. You may create as many as you'd like.
JGSCO Surname Search
For JGSCO members, we offer an additional service to help members find other members who are researching the same surnames or geographic area: the JGSCO Surnames page. This page allows you to enter town specific information using either current borders or old borders; it also allows you to enter alternate spellings of your names to facilitate searching. The system facilitates the exchange of emails between members.
Entering Your Surnames
1. Login. You must be logged in to both see the JGSCO Surnames page and enter your own surnames.
2. Under the Login & Membership tab, click Profile.
3. Click the Surnames tab. (It’s one of the green tabs.)
4. Click the document with the “+” sign. This will bring up a separate window so you can enter a surname.
5. You must enter a surname. All other data are optional. Just enter what you know.
6. Click the “Save” button in the upper right-hand corner.
7. You may edit your own entries by clicking on the “pencil” icon or delete them by clicking on the “trash can” icon.
8. Repeat for each of your names.